Friday, June 13, 2008

First Night Out!

So I spent last night downtown, which I'd been looking forward to ever since my awesome anatomy lab partner Crystal and I had talked last week about hitting some bars and clubs after our exam.

After seeing a show at the IRT with my family. It was a musical, which is something pretty different for my family and I. We like to try some sort of show each year, but usually not a musical....I dunno, maybe I just don't get musicals. When I was younger I always got annoyed that people would interrupt the story to start singing a song.
But anyway, after the show I met up with Crystal and we decided to go check out the places on South Meridian. There are quite a few options all within the same little area, and we really didn't know what most of them were like, so we decided to just go check out whatever sounded interesting. We started out at Subterra Lounge. It's a pretty modern chic place - lots of deep oranges and reds with multicolored lighting under the glass plates that line some of the walls. Our problem there was that it was about 10:30pm, which means the crowds haven't picked up by then. According to the bartender (who was sort of nice), it had been a little slow there over the past couple of weeks on Thursday nights. Not sure why, but Crystal and I didn't have any Thursday night downtown experience yet anyway, so we didn't really know what to expect. After about an hour and a glass of wine later, we decided to go check out some other places.
We stopped by Have A Nice Day Cafe in hopes of dancing, but they had some sort of radio show contest thingy going on, so we decided to come back later and went back across the street to Blu. Of the places we went, I think Blu definitely had the best atmosphere and music. Unfortunately, also no dancing! We each got beers and were there until about midnight, when we figured the whole radio thing might be over and we might get to dance after all. So we went back to Have A Nice Day and, lo and behold, people were dancing! Hooray! Have A Nice Day is '70s themed and reminds me of the Cactus, but smaller and without the giant cups. It has a pretty fun lighted dance floor, which is what we came there for in the first place. The crowd was mostly college-aged people and others in their 20s, with a few older looking people in business suits who probably were a little too old to be there and probably didn't know it. Such is a bar, though. But we danced a lot and made new friends on the dance floor. :)
After a while and getting ridiculously hot from all the dancing, we decided to call it a night and walked the couple of blocks back to the car.

Overall, it was a lot of fun!!! :) Too bad I didn't bring my camera. Drinks were ridiculously expensive (at least where we got them), but we only paid $3 cover all night (@ Have A Nice Day). Crystal said she heard that everyone goes to Broad Ripple on Friday nights and downtown on Saturday nights, so we will definitely be testing out that theory a lot in the weekends to come! :D

No comments: